The Cumberland Community Schools Society (CCSS) is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff, volunteers and clients. The purpose of this document is to outline protocols and procedures to limit the transmission of COVID-19 during the delivery of the Healthy Food Program.
From the BC Centre for Disease Control
COVID-19 doesn’t appear to be transmitted by eating food contaminated with the virus. It is spread from person-to-person through respiratory droplets. The virus is not believed to be transmitted by eating food because it is destroyed during digestion by the acids in your stomach. The greater risk is getting the virus on your hands and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth. There are no special precautions needed when storing food, but washing your hands after putting away food and before preparing and eating food is recommended.
SAFETY PROTOCOLS AND PROCEDURES
CCSS employees will follow the safe work practices and procedures outlined in our general COVID-19 Safety Plan which can be found online at www.cumberlandcommunityschools.com. In addition, the following procedures will be in place.
- The Breakfast Program will provide a free breakfast 5 days a week. It will be facilitated by a school staff person with food provided by the Cumberland Community Schools Society (CCSS).
- Students will be required to follow hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette, and physical distance while eating in the space provided. Siblings and students in the same cohort will be allowed to eat together.
- Staff will be required to follow hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette, and wear a mask while serving students.
- Servings will be individually wrapped.
- CCSS will provide lunches Monday to Thursday. The Lunch Program is facilitated by CCSS staff, who are employed by the Cumberland Community Schools Society. They are not School District employees.
- Healthy Food Program staff will practice appropriate hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. Staff will wear a mask while handling and distributing food, and when physical distancing is not possible.
- Use of the kitchen will be restricted to Healthy Food Program staff. Anyone other than CCSS Food Program staff must ask permission before entering.
- The kitchen has been decluttered to facilitate effective and efficient cleaning. It will be cleaned and disinfected regularly, with enhanced cleaning protocols in place.
- At this time, volunteers will not be allowed to help with the program.
- Food will be sourced from local vendors with COVID Safety Plans in place.
- Vendors will not be allowed to enter school facilities, but will be met at the door by Food Program staff.
- Food will be individually packaged in disposable containers and delivered directly to classrooms.
- Bins used to deliver food will be washed and sanitized daily, using disinfectant and/or commercial dishwasher.
- As usual, staff are required to have current Food Safe certification and will follow all Food Safe procedures.
- CCSS staff will follow all School District and Cumberland Community School guidelines related to COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Safety Plans will be posted on the CCSS website and in the workplace.