The Cumberland Community Schools Society (CCSS) exists to facilitate life-long learning, health and wellbeing through community partnerships and collaborative use of school and community resources for the benefit of our village.
Established in 2000, CCSS is a registered charity that operates on the belief that learning is a life-long process and that schools should exist not in isolation, but as part of the local community. We take one of the largest and most under-utilized public facilities – the School buildings – and keep them open on afternoons, evenings and weekends for community activities. Operating out of Cumberland Community School, CCSS works to address the needs of all age groups, by providing programs for parents & babies, after-school programs, a healthy lunch program, adult education as well as youth programs and services.
Our mission is to create opportunities to foster a positive, self confident vision of ourselves, our children and our village while leading by example. We hope to encourage a sense of community within the school and a sense of safety in knowing each other in the community.
- To create meaningful social connections and a sense of belonging for residents of all ages.
- To be a champion of life-long learning in our community.
- To promote mental, physical and emotional health and wellbeing in our school and in our community.
- To promote tolerance and celebration of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and lifestyles.
- To model good governance and excellent staff, contractor and volunteer relationships.
- To be a dynamic and vibrant organization with high levels of community engagement.
- A Sense of Belonging
- Community Connectedness
- Cross-Generational Engagement
- Environmental, Economic and Social Wellbeing in our Community
- Passion and Joy in our Work and Volunteer Efforts
- Health and Wellness
- Accountability and Transparent Leadership
- Accessible and Integrated Community Services
- Social Justice – both locally and globally
The name of the Society is Cumberland Community Schools Society.
The purposes of the Society are as follows:
To provide educational services for students such as after-school programs, a homework club, reading with seniors, family workshops and adult programs;
To provide a lunch program for students;
To provide services such as skill workshops, employment searches, and training to various hard-to employ individuals.
The purposes of the Society shall be carried out without purpose of gain for its Members and any profits or other accrediting to the Society shall be the promotion of its purposes.
In the event of a winding up or dissolution of the Society, funds and assets of the Society remaining after the satisfaction of its debts and liabilities shall be paid to School District 71, for enhancement of educational facilities located in the Village of Cumberland.
Paragraphs 3, 4, and 5 are unalterable.